Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Six Months in a Leaky Boat - give Jessica Watson her record!

I will be the first to admit that when I first heard the story about this 16 year old girl who wanted to sail around the world solo in a little boat, with her parents blessing, I was horrified. As a mother, I couldn't believe that her parents would let her sail off into the sunset at such a young age. I was scared for her safety, thought her parents irresponsible and was also swaying towards the camp that thought it would all go pear shaped and that our taxes would end up footing the bill to rescue this spoilt child who just wanted to go on this big adventure, without really thinking about the consequences.

My opinion changed a couple of weeks ago when I read a double page spread about Jessica and her family in the Saturday Telegraph.

Though not the type of upbringing I had, Jessica had a very interesting childhood. Home schooled and encouraged to go for her goals, she decided from a young age that she would embark on this expedition. She was also mature enough to realise it wasn't a Huckleberry Finn trip up the Mississippi River either. She studied hard the skills she needed to skipper her own craft, she put in countless hours of work experience with highly trained sailors and she was more than ready and prepared when she left the safety of her parents - with their full support and blessing - in October 2009.

As Jessica is on the home stretch of her trip - just shy of her 17th birthday - the press is reporting that her trip may not in fact set the record she had hoped and that in effect her trip was in vain. I could only imagine this would be heartbreaking for both Jessica, her family & everyone who has supported and sponsored her on her journey. Whatever the outcome of this new information, one thing is for sure - this courageous young woman set herself a goal - albeit a dangerous and ambitious one - and more power to her for achieving what she has. I will be telling my girls all about Jessica when she comes home in the next week or so and as they get older, I hope I will be as encouraging and supportive of their goals as Jessica's parents have been with her. Setting of goals and achieving them is a big part of life and well done Jessica for doing just that - you go girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment